2022 Spring RFL Results thread: Moo Moo (Round One)

Just my two cents on scoring...

Counting more runes towards scoring heavily transfers winning odds from luck factor into efficiency. I'm trying to say it would be almost predictable who stands a chance to win and who doesn't. Top 5 is as much about luck as is about efficiency and that is quite okay, slower player can hope to get Cham and still have some chance with some luck.

As for 1.07 scoring and fairness... we have to decide what is RFL about. Is it about fairness or playing? Besides, even if we eliminate 1.07, winning will mostly come to who finds Zod. One drop to rule them all. So... nothing is fair around here. Let's just have fun is my stance.

Reactions: zorohpjtr
But shouldn’t someone who finds a Zod have a chance of winning? As it is he is beaten by any one drop from Gul+ In 1.07. Finding one of those runes is much more common than finding a Zod - You have 9 possibilities.

Even as someone who's had an overall RFL victory taken from @WoRG with 1.07 stuff, I'm still in @Gripphon's camp here. :)

Counting all runes rather than top 5 would favor the faster/more efficient runners. And I feel that could take away the appeal for more casual players who, in the current format, always have realistic odds at simply out-RNG'ing all the bots, myself included. :D That becomes much less likely when all drops count because efficiency differences really add up over 20 hours.

1.07 was more of a joke in the early iterations of RFL because people who ran 1.07 didn't score well honestly. Don't know whether that was down to playstyle or more casual running or whatnot. With several high scoring 1.07 results over the last few years, sure it might be an idea to tweak the scoring a bit. Because I agree that indeed it's weird that in 1.14 you have zero chance of beating some very rare drop in 1.07.

But then again I would indeed say in the end it's mostly about having fun, and probably 1.07 players wouldn't enjoy competing in a splintered group of 2 players so much. If people find those crazy rare runes in 1.07, I don't mind if they snatch an all but guaranteed round win with a single drop in comparison to 1.14 runners. If my ego couldn't take not getting the #1 placement, I would have stopped participating years ago. :p

What comes to finding Gul+ runes in 1.07.. I've found Vex and second highest rune is Ist. And I've been playing 1.07 for a while now. And I've killed a LOT of cows with checking every loot and picking up every gold and rune and stuff.

m4ke

The most likely result in 1.07-1.09 is that you get nothing.

Increasing the number of qualifiers from 5 to 6 (or 7 or whatever number seems reasonable) could be a good way to make it more balanced. The more casual person who finds a single Zod and some lower runes still places highly but faster runs are rewarded at the same time. I get that 10 is a round number, but sometimes the truth lies somewhere in the middle and some testing might be required.

Of course this has no real effect on 1.07-1.09 as you probably won't get more than 3 qualifiers on average per set. Especially since 1.07 cow runs are highly inefficient from a modern standpoint. While 1.09 is faster (by a lot) the odds for runes are also much worse.

I think there is no way to balance this.

If the categories are split, 1.07 players will end up being from 0 to 2-3 which will probably ruin the competition for them. Just like @art_vandelay said, most realistic scenario in 1.07 is to end up with no runes but then again the players that decide to play 1.07 are quite experienced so it's most likely that they will get something.

Of course fun factor is above all but if anything can be done to balance this out would help the popularity of the Tournaments since winning or scoring high can give you some motivation, boost your faith or increase your fame across the forums.

My only suggestion would be to have two scoring tables. One as it is now which will give you one winner from the whole Tournament and one seperate for 1.14d (or any other version with the same rune drops) since it is the most played version.

Reactions: nulio
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High