2011 PvP Ladder (Sign up and Discussion)

Darkoooo

Jan 14, 2007
2011 PvP Ladder (Sign up and Discussion)

Greetings to all duelers and those who wish to become a part of our worldwide known dueling scene! :grouphug:

[highlight]Q: Why a PvP tournament?[/highlight]

-[highlight]A:[/highlight] I don't remember the last time a PvP tournament was hosted so I thought people might want to see how good or bad they are against other players. Maxicek hosted lots of good PvP weeks and provided huge amounts of fun but I think it might be interesting to have a PvP gathering with a scoring system and a winner in the end.

[highlight]Q: [/highlight][highlight]How do I win it?[/highlight]

-[highlight]A:[/highlight] Specifically, I had a HLD PvP ladder in mind. You could enter with a maximum of 7 characters (only one character per class) and with participating and winning the scores will be assigned to your character. This is to increase the amount of battles and a greater diversity of characters. A match between two characters would consist of 6 battles, where both players would host 3 battles (this can be done via TCP/IP, Hamachi or I could host a game for duels to take place). Of course you can challenge a character only once.

You could enter a new character at any time, but it would have to be a different class than the ones you already have signed in. Tournament would begin some time next week and last until there hasn't been activity for two weeks when we'll declare a winner. I might put together a stash for a winner, so if anyone would like to donate items for that cause I'd be very grateful. :badteeth:

Rules would be the standard BM rules posted in Sint's Ultimate PvP guide with an extra ban on 1.07 LoH.

[highlight]Q: Where do I sign up?[/highlight]

-[highlight]A:[/highlight] If you'd be interested in participating please enter your character(s) in the table at the bottom. I'll post the detailed rules and scoring system when the tournament is up.

If there are any questions or disagreements please let me know, any and all feedback is welcome. :help:

Code:
Character       |Class           |Player          |
________________|________________|________________|
VeilOfMaya       Assasssin        Darkoooo
WatchOut         Sorceresss       Darkoooo

-Darko :tombstone:

Re: 2011 PvP Ladder (Sign up and Discussion)

I did not found in which period we will play beacuse I will be out all July and big part of August but I will sign in to have at least some fun

Code:
Ambin            Paladin          bassano
White_Shade      Necromancer      bassano
Wind_Spirit      Druid            bassano 
vetsirev         Barbarian        bassano 
Shadow_Master    Assasin          bassano 
II               sorceress        bassano

I was thinking of planning some PvP leagues, but I'll only have time in the Summer to finish it.

Count me in :thumbup: But why can't we enter several characters from same classes? :( We can have completely different builds from same classes (Windy Druid vs Fire Druid vs Rabies/Fury Druid, for example) so it can help in the diversity, and since there might be players with different builds from same class and not that many builds from different class (my case, for example, two zons - still to be finished tho - and two sorcs), this will reduce number of games and not increase it.

Well, as some of you got to experience the other day, I am going to start PvP! But I think I'll let the Singer sit the bench this time :rolleyes:

It will be asleep stretch to get even one character up to dueling level, so I will wait until then to add myself.

Looking forward to this, I may even actually kill somebody! ya never know!

Code:
Sapphire         Sorceress        Pyrohemia
FluffyKitten     Barbarian        Pyrohemia
BearChest        Amazon           Pyrohemia
TrophyHunter     Paladin          Pyrohemia

One character per class gives me some tough choices, but two powerful characters and two humorous ones should be a good mix.

Can we start as soon as we are in the table?

I did not found in which period we will play beacuse I will be out all July and big part of August but I will sign in to have at least some fu

As I said, tournament will start some time next week (or maybe this weekend) and end after two week hibernation ;) Hope you'll squeeze in some time to play!

But why can't we enter several characters from same classes? :( We can have completely different builds from same classes (Windy Druid vs Fire Druid vs Rabies/Fury Druid, for example) so it can help in the diversity, and since there might be players with different builds from same class and not that many builds from different class (my case, for example, two zons - still to be finished tho - and two sorcs), this will reduce number of games and not increase it.

My primary reason was the simplicity, if we allow multiple characters from the same class we would have to specify the border where one build becomes another. For example, is 117 FCR light sorc same as 200 FCR light sorc, is Light/ES same as pure light, is max block same as vita etc. My second reason is I liked it that way :crazyeyes: But if I receive many complaints I can change that (if we agree on what's the difference between two builds).

Can we start as soon as we are in the table?

Since we haven't sorted out all the rules yet, I'd prefer we wait until the official thread is up. I might post it on weekend if everything goes well :wave:

Darkoooo is a haxxor and has stolen Antonio's Assassin.

I'm interested, but suspect that time would be a big issue for me.

Code:
Sapphire         Sorceress        Pyrohemia
FluffyKitten     Barbarian        Pyrohemia
BearChest        Amazon           Pyrohemia
TrophyHunter     Paladin          Pyrohemia
Sajaki           Assassin         entwilighter

Fresh blood to spill!

She's at level 75 right now, she has some major missing pieces in her gear setup, and somebody stuck a big sign on her back that says "Free ears!".

But I'll give her a shot at least. :)

I have a couple of questions:

- Have you got a scoring system worked out yet?
- How are you going to encourage players to complete all their matches rather than only going for easy wins?
- Are people going to be scored individually for each character or through a total of all their characters? The latter risks players being able to mass games for a win, whilst the former may discourage people from entering multiple characters due to time constraints.

Don't know if I'll actually enter yet, I've barely played D2 in the last couple of years, although it might be nice to win one final tournament.

"Win one final tournament"? Ha! You couldn't win a tournament if your stashes depended on it. Today's generation of duelers would wipe your sorry characters all over the Moor. I'd like to see you try!

(Only the last sentence being serious...)

Darkoooo is a haxxor and has stolen Antonio's Assassin.

It's a pure coincidence I have a PvP trapper named VeilOfMaya just like my brother did, we think alike :whistling:

Come to the Moor and show me how are these sins played ;)

- Have you got a scoring system worked out yet?
- How are you going to encourage players to complete all their matches rather than only going for easy wins?
- Are people going to be scored individually for each character or through a total of all their characters? The latter risks players being able to mass games for a win, whilst the former may discourage people from entering multiple characters due to time constraints.

For the scoring system, I was thinking:

2 points for finishing a match (both players get these)
1 point for winning a battle
2 points for winning a match

So in case of a 4-2 win, first player gets 8 points and the second player gets 4 points.

That's also the way I'd encourage people to complete their matches because they get a lot of points with just competing.

Scores would be assigned to a player's character so people who don't have many PvP chars still have a chance to win. I can see how it might be a problem with finding enough time for all your characters but this tournament will run until the interest in it fades. If one still can't find the time for all your characters, he/she can always duel with just one character.

Hope we'll meet again in the Moor col, I just hope duels won't last for ~10 minutes like the last time we played :crazyeyes:

So can we play?
I want to PWN all of you right here right now :)
I will be ready just on monday, maybe even on sunday evening of american time

My primary reason was the simplicity, if we allow multiple characters from the same class we would have to specify the border where one build becomes another. For example, is 117 FCR light sorc same as 200 FCR light sorc, is Light/ES same as pure light, is max block same as vita etc. My second reason is I liked it that way :crazyeyes: But if I receive many complaints I can change that (if we agree on what's the difference between two builds).

I understand that. What about a middle ground.... ES and no-ES (very different duels) times the 3 elements, so maximum 6 different sorcs. Then 3 different kinds for Druids (fire, wind and SS). Two for necros (poison and bone). Two for zons (bowy and javazon). Sins (no clue). Barbs (wolfie and BvC). Paladin (Mage based hybrids and charger based?).

I know it could be hard, but if we can get some simple rules/distinctions, maybe more chars in game (in my case it will be ^^).

Also, there are not exactly 400 players in this tournament, so it could probably be fine to say, "yes, nulio, you can play those five characters that you want to play," or whatever. A set of complicated rules might not be necessary.

@nulio
Sorry, I made the thread before I read your post. It seems like jdkerr is also against that rule so I decided there won't be any restrictions to builds, but the cap on number of characters will remain. :thumbsup:

I see one major issue (except exams) that prevents me from entering. That would be problem of prebuffing :/

It's insanely powerful, and fact that you can prebuff 34 levels of Energy shield, 20 levels of Battle orders and everything else is really wrong. There is no rule preventing that. Sadly some classes just can't benefit from prebuffing as others so it's completely unfair to have prebuffing allowed.

I'm sorry for ranting but I just can't approve that :/

Reason why I haven't put limitations on prebuffing is that I didn't find such a rule in any of the previous PvP tournaments, and in general it seems to be accepted in the PvP community. I know it's very powerful, but also quite tedious to prebuff lvl 40 ES without investing any points, that's why I put 18 points in ES without maxing Ice Bolt on my FO/ES sorc...

I agree that it's tedious to prebuff when we have FFA battles, but in 1v1, when you can focus your gear to counter single threat, and on top of it prebuff your BO on lvl 30+ and ES to save you 34 points in skills, it just brings far too much imbalance.

Since you are boss, you should make rules and try to make them as good and as possible to balance everything out. Or to put it this way - if I did run tournament, I would allow any prebuff directly from your inventory, and no horadric cube can be in your inventory in any time of the duel. So if you think two BKWB ring will benefit your BO lvl more then 2 x 20life small charms, be my guest.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High