1.07 object popping assassin theorycrafting

pharphis

Aug 1, 2011
Howdy,

I am in the process of making an assassin that can run very rapidly due to 1.07 frw boost from items being way better than later versions, as well as no keys + burst of speed.

I've got some questions regarding how to do this effectively, though, since I have almost no experience with this char AND the skills may function differently in 1.07.

My rough idea of how to build the char is max burst of speed + weapon block (does this work in 1.07? It doesn't show anything in LCS) and stack up on mostly FRW equipment with some res/life for safety. I'm guessing max shadow master (or the other one?) as a meatshield and at least one point in mindblast. Is cloak of shadows worthwhile in 1.07? What if I'm running across an area very quickly? Again, I have very little experience here. I don't think think a merc is worthwhile but perhaps a ice blast merc would be *acceptable* with great gear

Gear:
Arkaine's for huge life bonus + def + some res/fhr - unfortunately lvl req = 85
Valk wing (30 frw, fcr, ias, fhr...)
mav belt (40 frw)
40 frw boots (probably nat's or aldur's)
2x bartuc's chop-chop (I already have 2 of these and they give some + skills)
rings = ravenfrost if necessary for CBF as well as either some res/fcr/life or dwarf star (life, mdr).
CBF gloves or stat boost (IK gloves) or LoH for fire immunity
HLW for amulet because 30 frw, +skill, lite res
weapon swap = ...? craint vomir gives 20 frw for running in town but that makes almost no difference at this speed.

Some other questions I have:
What does ias affect vs fcr? Since i don't plan to use any traps, is ias needed at all?
What about dragon flight? Do I need to target a monster to use this? What affects this?
If ias doesn't help, what would be best in my bartuc's (or other weapons if better)? hel rune would help to save some stats, but not all that much.

My plan is to run nihl temple or perhaps the open areas in A5 due to the huge number of poppables.

Some readouts:
Code:
Bartuc's Chop Chop
Greater Talons
One-Hand Damage: 28 to 47
Durability: 17 of 30
(Assassin Only)
Required Dexterity: 103
Required Strength: 103
Required Level: 42
Claw Class - Fastest Attack Speed
Item Version: Expansion
Item Level: 90
Fingerprint: 0x6f484790
+10 to Dexterity
+25 to Mana
+35% Enhanced Damage
50% Increased Attack Speed
Hit Blinds Target +0
35% Target Defense
25% Deadly Strike
+2 to Assassin Skill Levels
+1 to Shadow Discipline Skills (Assassin Only)

M'avina's Tenet
Sharkskin Belt
Defense: 82
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Strength: 20
Required Level: 45
Fingerprint: 0x4afb30a3
+50 Defense
11% Mana stolen per hit
+5 to Light Radius
40% Faster Run/Walk

Arkaine's Valor
Balrog Skin
Defense: 1554
Required Strength: 165
Required Level: 85
Indestructible
Item Level: 99
Fingerprint: 0x2f699aaf
+38 to Life (don't make fun of me)
+200% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +50%
+2 to All Skill Levels
30% Faster Hit Recovery
+188 to Life (2 per Character Level)
+235 to Vitality (2.5 per Character Level)
Socketed (1: 1 used)

Valkyrie Wing
Winged Helm
Defense: 183
Durability: 21 of 21
Required Strength: 105
Required Level: 44
Fingerprint: 0x3070bae3
+50% Enhanced Defense
+35 Defense
30% Increased Attack Speed
30% Faster Run/Walk
30% Faster Hit Recovery
30% Faster Cast Rate
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

Hellmouth
War Gauntlets
Defense: 135
Durability: 13 of 24
Required Strength: 110
Required Level: 47
Fingerprint: 0x5e1a9123
+150% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +20%
Adds 15-40 fire damage
Attacker Takes Damage of 10
Cannot Be Frozen
5% Chance to cast Level 1 Meteor on striking

How bout these boots? :p
Code:
Prefix 876 Battle Boots of Transportation
Defense: 46
Durability: 17 of 18
Required Strength: 95
Required Level: 57
Item Level: 88
Fingerprint: 0x43030075
Heal Stamina Plus 25%
30% Faster Run/Walk
84% Slower Stamina Drain

barbmerc>all, because of regen

seriosly, just give him gulli ans some random CBlade(Bulkathos would be highend) and he will be far more usefull then any other merc in this patch

barbmerc>all, because of regen

seriosly, just give him gulli ans some random CBlade(Bulkathos would be highend) and he will be far more usefull then any other merc in this patch
In general, that's what I do. However, if I'm running through an area all but the toughest barb mercs will die if trapped between a few enemies for more than 5 sec.

the grandfather is much much better for mercs because of the huge life bonus, btw. It works out to about 50% more life and then with shako it's basically doubling the merc's life

mmh, i didnt try them(in 07), but does the a3 merc dont get stuck after a while?

i thought the "AI" of barbmercs was/is by far the best in all terms

I'm not sure about getting stuck or not, but the ability to freeze/slow monsters was what I had in mind. Anyway, this is a fairly minor point and would take some testing I think. I'm more worried about what skills work or not. If weapon block doesn't work, claws probably aren't worth using at all and in which case I would just use shield + good defensive weapon like a safety craft or more likely baranar's star or something like that.

I haven't played with assassins in 1.07 so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

The 1.07 Build Guide seems to suggest that the Shadow Master is one of the strongest minions in 1.07, cuz of high resists. Only problem with Shadow Master is, she will use all the possible skills, and you really cannot control when she uses Mind Blast (converting wrong time, but that shouldn't be a big issue in this case) or Cloak of Shadows (the casting delay can be pain). But since you are just running it's most likely your best bet.

I think the Trap Skills are governed by IAS, and the Shadow skills by FCR. So more fcr means faster Mind Blast, and that can really save you in tough spot. That's why I'd consider Trang's gloves as an option, to reach the next fcr bp.

Maybe, with decent fcr, you could have teleport staff on the switch (if 1.07 has teleport charges). Still, might be a bad idea for HC.

I think halls of pain and anguish have no fire immunes, so if you are going to have an offensive back up skill, go with fire blast or wake of fire.

I think you can only target monsters with Dragon Flight, and it has 1 second cast delay, so it's probably not the safest option.

Man, it's a shame they renamed the Bartuc's. Chop Chop is an awesome name!

Ice Blink on an Act V merc for freezing?

Dragon Flight is indeed dependent on a monster for targeting.

If you can get obnoxious FRW, you might be better off with Fade over Burst of Speed for survivability.

Shadow Master will also be a better minion because she is quite good at keeping up with you, partially because she has Dragon Flight of her own.

Also why weapon block over a shield? Is there no animation/hit recovery?

Dunno. Figured I could get much better stats with 2x claw but now that I'm looking at it, bartuc's and everything else is pretty garbage. Also, 60% block (some spells, too?) is EZ to get considering I don't have another use for skill points, and good block on shield takes a lot of dex. I'm definitely open to changing to a shield, though.

1.07 is the only LOD patch where FRW has no dimishing returns, so you can get ridiculously fast. Therefore every FRW helps.

1.08 has better odds of getting uniques, sets, rares and magic items from racks but FRW will have dimishing returns there. :(

You would maybe be better of with 2x +6 Burst of speed claws on your switch.

If you want decent damage claws you can buy them at Anya. I have a 1.07 assassin using:

Code:
Prefix 869 Scissors Suwayyah of Evisceration
One-Hand Damage: 114 to 315
Durability: 31 of 34
(Assassin Only)
Required Dexterity: 123
Required Strength: 130
Required Level: 67
Claw Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Level: 84
Fingerprint: 0x7acc00ac
+324% Enhanced Damage
+65 to Maximum Damage
+2 to Cloak of Shadows (Assassin Only)
+2 to Dragon Flight (Assassin Only)
Socketed (2: 2 used)

Prefix 869 Scissors Suwayyah of Evisceration
One-Hand Damage: 108 to 291
Durability: 33 of 34
(Assassin Only)
Required Level: 67
Claw Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Level: 84
Fingerprint: 0x7ec37990
+300% Enhanced Damage
+55 to Maximum Damage

She packs quite a punch with max damage charms and death sentry. My plan was using the first with Natalya and use the whole set for fun, but never reached level 79 before I quit. :(

Code:
Natalya's Mark
Scissors Suwayyah
'Shae'
One-Hand Damage: 81 to 177
Durability: 34 of 34
(Assassin Only)
Required Level: 79
Claw Class - Fastest Attack Speed
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x6fdffe54
+200% Enhanced Damage
Adds 12-17 fire damage
+50 cold damage
20% Increased Attack Speed
40% Increased Attack Speed
Ignore Target Defense
200% Damage to Demons
200% Damage to Undead
Socketed (1: 1 used)

Last edited:
@pharphis, what would you like to accomplish with a high frw character? Finding as much charms as possible? I don't think you can beat the speed of a teleporting sorc with 60 frw (just to run in act 3). Also about keys you should always buy them from akara instead of alkor.

A5 objects for any rune possible as well as ilvl 90+ charms (ilvl = 99 in nihl temple)

I'm sure nothing beats a sorc in LK but i'm not really interested in that.

@pharphis, what would you like to accomplish with a high frw character? Finding as much charms as possible? I don't think you can beat the speed of a teleporting sorc with 60 frw (just to run in act 3). Also about keys you should always buy them from akara instead of alkor.

No need to buy keys if you are an Assassin :).

Indeed. That's one of the reasons I want to try one :p

Can't shift+buy keys in 1.07 so it's slightly more tedious than usual.

For those interested, I looked through my weapons and ginther's rift gives 20 mdr, so it's one of the better candidates for a char to be safe with a 1H weapon (wizzeh is still best probably)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High