The epic classical music thread

Les Preludes by Franz Liszt:

It's like Beethoven and Wagner in one. The finale is overwhelming!

• Love
Reactions: zemaj
Wagner's ring cycle, with all scores:

Das Rheingold

Die Walküre

Siegfried

Götterdämmerung

A single sheet of the scores with up to 30 instruments covers just 10 seconds, for a set of operas that covers over 14 hours. That's about 5000 pages. What an enormous amount of work it must have been... and it's so grand! Well yeah, Wagner needed several decades to finish it.

Edit: New links.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: In The Name of Zod

If you ever feel sad about having lost a beloved, then hear this and let the music express your grief while you continue to get along with it. The loss of a beloved cannot be overcome though. Farewell Dad, you're dead for five years by now (he died on Nov 19th 2015, to be precise), but I'm still dreaming of you being alive!

Reactions: In The Name of Zod
There's not much time left to make a posting that's appropriate for this day...

You blew it!

50661_lg.jpeg
Not just his birthday. His 250th birthday!

Last edited:
No matter what you might think about the end of Game of Thrones, the music was grand.

OK, the year of Beethoven's 250th birthday is over (and I send my eternal curses to all of you for not having made an appropriate posting), so here's the greatest non-Beethoven symphony:

Edit2 : Another new link.

Last edited:
Every damn time you bring up Beethoven, I'm reminded of this really fun bit from Doctor Who:

Edit: In case it's region-locked, search for "Doctor Who - Bootstrap Paradox" on Youtube.

Every damn time you bring up Beethoven, I'm reminded of this really fun bit from Doctor Who:
Hmm, I could travel back in time and become Krischan van Beethoven. My hair looks rather similar to his :unsure:

If you ever do, I hope you have enough sense to drink the wine before it's too late.

If you ever do, I hope you have enough sense to drink the wine before it's too late.
Oh yes, thanks for reminding me. That would be a pity indeed.

Brahms, German Requiem:

"Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras.
Und alle Herrlichkeit des Menschen wie des Grases Blumen.
Das Gras ist verdorret und die Blume abgefallen."

"For all flesh is as grass,
and all the glory of man as the flower of grass.
The grass withers, and the flower thereof falleth away."

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High