Kartongen’s runeword rant and overambitious three septs.

You're counting on a twinked character searching or trading for the rare Gul rune when you judge Principle but I don't think that is quite fair. A Gul rune is a steep price if you try to obtain it but if you should come across a Gul rune with an untwinked character there is nothing comparable you can do with it. And 100+ life together with fire resistance is not bad, although persistent shopping could match it. But if you are a paladin the skill levels will likely be enough to outclass at least anything you can buy or otherwise easily obtain. For an untwinked paladin, that is not so bad for the price of the otherwise worthless Gul rune (Kingslayer isn't likely going to happen).

I agree that a resistance aura is probably a convenient choice, and they are both underused and very pretty. In order to make the high life worth its salt you should make a base vitality paladin, then Principle will be much harder to beat by other runewords. Problem solved :cool:

Wanted to add few more ideas:

Enlightenment
1. Enchantress (melee) - I would go for Zeal (more hits = higher chance to cast FB) or some weapon with ITD to raise chance to proc.

2. Enchantress (ranged) - I would add some source of 'blind' and build merc around 'slow' mod. This combination should stop most monsters in place or at least slow them considerably and give you more time to proc FB.
Concept could be copied to other chars too, especially paladin with convinction aura.

3. Frenzy barb - fast attack and fast movement. Haven't figured this one yet, thought about using LR wand on switch but no idea about the weapons.

Reactions: Kartongen
@Maltatai I think you make a good point here, that Principle might have some use in an untwinked run. In the context I have mentioned it here (it's overall design in the rant post, and how it might be utilized apart from +2 skills in the sept post) I still think my negativity is warranted.
But I have thrown a lot of shade its way, so it is good that someone offers an alternative perspective.

@Miron My first idea was also an enchantress with a synergized fireball, but I would have to devote so many skills into it that I could not find a good way to secure a back-up skill. And the ctc% is just to low for me.
I also looked at "fast attacker" for the second sept, but an equivalent of about 7 damage per hit is just so low. :(

1.11 Runeword sept 2: The switcheroo​

Treachery​

With how good this one is to a wide variety of characters, I will basically use this as a "whichever class is missing" sort of deal. If I can, however, I will try to utilize this for a poison dagger necro.

Peace​

Like mentioned in the rant, I really like this armour. While trying it on a melee (tanky) character to try the slow missiles proc is tempting, I will use this on a fire huntermentalist with a harmony bow to utilize the valk proc.

Bone​

Ctc bone armour, huge mana boost and nice resists. I will put this either on a caster or possibly on a ES sorc. Not completely decided yet. What are some mana intense builds who can have use of the mana?

Myth​

While the proc chance for taunt is very low, I am unreasonably excited about using this for a curse-less medusa. (So no “blind” or “hit cause monsters to flee” etc.) Basically pure slow target and a handful of cold small charms, to slow everything down to a crawl. Will probably pair with an act 1 or act 3 cold merc (for extra style points).

Enlightenment​

I dont really know what I can get out of this one, apart from looking cool with blaze on. A Phoenix-striker just for style? Frenzy or whirlwind for similar reason. Would love a better utilisation than "will look cool with blaze", but I cannot see it.

Principle​

If enlightenment was hard... The literally only ideas I have is a blade fury assassin since the holy bolts might look cool, (too sold on a mythical medusa to consider a strafer) or maybe a shifter/BO barb and turn that 100-150 life into 200-300 life.
Can anyone find any redeeming quality for a non-pala (who can't utilize the +skill) for this runeword?

Rain​

Ctc cyclone armour and huge mana makes this another (slightly less interesting) candidate for an ES sorc or some other mana-intense build. Other than that, I dont really have a good idea.

Questions is summary:​

• Bone/Rain. What are some mana intense builds that could be fun here (apart from magezon)? For a ES sorc, what other skill than frozen orb and firewall gives high return of investment (since about 44 points will be locked in for ES)?
  • Enlightenment. As I don’t think warmth will make a significant difference for anyone with access to insight, is looking cool with blaze on the only application for this runeword? Would love some other ideas.
  • Principle. Apart from the life bonus, is there anything this runeword actually offers a non-paladin? (I mean, even a 4 PRuby armour gives more life than the max roll, and that is before you consider a jewellers armour of the [useful suffix] etc.)
  • Where can I best utilize a barbarian or paladin in this sept (apart from treachery).

Reactions: D2DC
I really like this project @Kartongen! It has a lot of overlaps with my CtC and Pando projects.

Re Principle: FWIW, I was quite disappointed with HB on my charges Boneslayer Paladin. And, those were higher level/synergized. I believe I utilized Principle with him as well? Anyway, unless you plan on using a ranged, A1/A3 merc, they are going to absorb a lot of the HBs. With it being such a low lvl and unsynergized, you may as well go the healing route. It's only 9-22 HP healed, but put that on a fast attacker like a strafer, and you are providing a lot of healing for a merc tank.

I really like this project @Kartongen! It has a lot of overlaps with my CtC and Pando projects.

Re Principle: FWIW, I was quite disappointed with HB on my charges Boneslayer Paladin. And, those were higher level/synergized. I believe I utilized Principle with him as well? Anyway, unless you plan on using a ranged, A1/A3 merc, they are going to absorb a lot of the HBs. With it being such a low lvl and unsynergized, you may as well go the healing route. It's only 9-22 HP healed, but put that on a fast attacker like a strafer, and you are providing a lot of healing for a merc tank.
Oh, interesting to hear. Just read up on the pando project. Interesting read, and project. Though repeating each act 21 times in a row... Your level of masochism rivels even mine.

Is CtC and pando two different projects? I vaguely remember reading the CtC project months ago, but could not find it now. (Could not find the pando project either at first, and then realized it was right there in your sig. I need more sleep. 😴 )

Yeah, I am quite dissapointed in the holy bolt. Imagine if they had given it a decently high level. But alas, even with synergies it will underwhelm. Amazon is kinda tied up with myth - it was the first out of class idea I got, and I am unreasonably excited to try it. But maybe a bladefury assassin. Cant think of any other ranged fast attacker. Maybe melee can work if I put it on a long range weapon, like a passion pike?

Reactions: D2DC
Yep, that was my next suggestion, BF Assasin. ;)

Re CtC: I am (slowly) making a double sept featuring CtC items. One set with mostly S/U options, and another with high end RWs. For example, I made a Medusa Zon, and then an Ice Strafe/FA.

A lot of the 1.11 RWs grab my attention, so very interested to see what you do with them. I'll also mention, I just tried out Myth on my Mythology themed Assassin. Used it on her (with BF) as well as putting it on a Rogue Merc. Taunt was triggering, but not as much as I'd hoped.. :cautious:

Last edited:
Yep, that was my next suggestion, BF Assasin. ;)

Re CtC: I am (slowly) making a double sept featuring CtC items. One set with mostly S/U options, and another with high end RWs. For example, I made a Medusa Zon, and then an Ice Strafe/FA.

A lot of the 1.11 RWs grab my attention, so very interested to see what you do with them. I'll also mention, I just tried out Myth on my Mythology themed Assassin. Used it on her (with BF) as well as putting it on a Rogue Merc. Taunt was triggering, but not as much as I'd hoped.. :cautious:
Yeah, regarding myth, there is a reason I say I am unreasonably excited for it. Because while I am very excited about it, the more logical part of my brain keeps telling me 10 % chance to proc and no AoE means it will not be super reliable. Still, just the slow alone on my medusa (75% slow from riphook, Cleglaw's and Blackhorn's coupled with chill from small charms) should make archers etc rather tame even if it never procs on them.

Untwinked:​

Assassin​

Apart from trapper, what is a good untwinked build? My first thought here was phoenix striker, but then I realized that had been my first thought for all three of these septs. I am either really excited about the prospect of a phoenix striker, or it just fits all three categories really well (or both). Would bladefury work well untwinked, or is it too reliant on a very good weapon?

Amazon​

Finding a build here is no real problem. Amazon is probably my favourite class. I will make a decision after I have filled the 2 amazon slots in the runeword septs. But feel free to share you favorite untwinked build. 😊

Necromancer​

The obvious choice here is fishymancer. However, I already have a twinked one in act 5 hell. I might go an "explosionmancer", leaning heavily on CE and Tir runes, with something (bonespear?) to get the first corpse. Tempted to play a poison nova necromancer too. Does that work well untwinked, or do you need the extra poison damage items? Very open to other suggestions for good untwinked necros.

Barbarian​

I know which two builds (whirlwind and frenzy) I really want to try out in three septs. But not which to field where. Experienced barbarian advisors needed on which work well untwinked, which could benefit from myth or other 1.11 RW etc.

Sorceress​

Finding a build here is no real problem. Sorc is probably my second favourite class. I will make a decision after I have filled the 2 sorc slots in the runeword septs. But feel free to share you favorite untwinked build. 😊

Paladin​

I have never played a paladin past normal I think. I just never got he feel for them. So huge need for input here. What works well untwinked, what can utilize Principle or some other 1.11 RW?

Druid​

With wind and fire/summon locked up for the RW septs (unless I get some new cool ideas here), my main question here is about fury. Does it work well untwinked? What would you people recommend for PI; reapers/lacerator (or similar ctc amplify damage)? Some sort of elemental weapon? Back up skill such as rabies or fireclaw? (I am leaning towards one if the former two, to have more skills to work with, but I am not sure if that is reasonable when untwinked.)

Questions is summary:​

• Assassin. Which of my bolded builds would you say work untwinked? What are some good untwinked builds (apart from trapper)?
  • Necromancer. Does poison nova work well untwinked? What are some good untwinked builds (apart from fishymancer)?
  • Barbarian. Whirlwind and Frenzy are the builds I most want to play. Does either lend itself well to untwinked, or would you recommend something else here?
  • Paladin. I have heard that tesladin and hammer work well untwinked. Any other? Please help, paladins confuse (and bore) me.
  • Druid. Does fury work well untwinked? What is a good PI solution?

Fury/fire claws hybrid wolf is a beast. I have an untwinked one and it's incredible fast. Give it a decent ammount of lifesteal and your good to go.

Fire/PI are a problem but can be skipped or get a source of lightning damage ready. I could link you my post about him if you want

Fury/fire claws hybrid wolf is a beast. I have an untwinked one and it's incredible fast. Give it a decent ammount of lifesteal and your good to go.

Fire/PI are a problem but can be skipped or get a source of lightning damage ready. I could link you my post about him if you want
Yeah, please do link it. Always nice to see how others have done it. :)
How many skillpoints did you invest in fireclaw and synergies to get viable damage?

Yeah, please do link it. Always nice to see how others have done it. :)
How many skillpoints did you invest in fireclaw and synergies to get viable damage?
Hmm... I thought I made a topic with him when he went Pat, but apparently not. So this is my first post about him: https://www.purediablo.com/forums/threads/meet-lunar-fury-fc-wolf.1842/

For fireclaw: I maxed the skill itself en put about 10 points in synergies. You could do a few more kinda depends on how much plus skills you get (I got 8 so put a few less in Lycanthropie and werewolf). You get about 1500 fire damage then. Because most PI have not too much life they die fast enough.. Only things that's import is you use a very, very fast weapon because FC damage is set. So you can use a blue scyth and still smack those monsters silly.

I maxed oak so I get enough life to not go in FHR much. Because my built doesn't use a shield but big 2 handen weapons that was important. And it works like a charm. I'm doing Baal runs now with only the bear as partner because the merc keeps dying and I like to spent my money and my time with on other things.

Hmm... I thought I made a topic with him when he went Pat, but apparently not. So this is my first post about him: https://www.purediablo.com/forums/threads/meet-lunar-fury-fc-wolf.1842/

For fireclaw: I maxed the skill itself en put about 10 points in synergies. You could do a few more kinda depends on how much plus skills you get (I got 8 so put a few less in Lycanthropie and werewolf). You get about 1500 fire damage then. Because most PI have not too much life they die fast enough.. Only things that's import is you use a very, very fast weapon because FC damage is set. So you can use a blue scyth and still smack those monsters silly.

I maxed oak so I get enough life to not go in FHR much. Because my built doesn't use a shield but big 2 handen weapons that was important. And it works like a charm. I'm doing Baal runs now with only the bear as partner because the merc keeps dying and I like to spent my money and my time with on other things.
Ah, that's where I had read about him.

Nice to see someone else who did something similar. I am very tempted to go for rabies, but very nice to see that fireclaw is a good backup plan should that fail.

Anyone with an assassin fetish (e.g. @maxicek) who can give me some advice on how you would sort a kicker, phoenix and a blade fury in these three septs? (Also interested in other build suggestions, except trapper.)
Current plan is untwinked kicker*, Treachery phoenix** and Principle Blade Fury***. I am very eager to hear some feedback on potential issues, and some alternate ideas on what to field where.

* Will be a challenge I suppose, but the others feels so well adapted to the septs. Also the kicker guide suggests going untwinked for first kicker, so should be doable.
** I feel like phoenix is the build that would utilize Treachery the best out of my three planned builds. Very open to other builds that suits it better
*** Principle is what it is, but someone has to use it. This way I should at least be able to twink her a nice weapon etc, even if the armour will be a limitation. Hard-pressed to find a out-of-class use for principle, and my only ideas was basically this for pretty fireworks and merc healing or barb/druid to double the life bonus.

And thus, the time has come. My theorycrafting has gone on for aeons untold, and it is time to present a short description of the coming 21 heroes.

Good were the advise gained from you fellow forumites, bad was some of the runewords in questions, a desperate grasping-at-straws attempts to find a way to make them useful is the result I now present.

So, without further ado. Behold! The fruit of my labour.

Table 1: Summary of the three septs
TreacheryPeaceBoneMythEnlightenmentPrincipleRainUntwinked
AssassinPhoenixBlade furyKicker
AmazonMagezonMedusaBow
NecromancerPoison daggerMeleeBOOM or poison
BarbarianFrenzyWhirlwindBerzerk
SorceressES+iDREnchantressFO/CL
PaladinHammerAvengerTesladin
DruidFire hunter mentalistWindFury/Rabies

Details and reasoning​

Untwinked1.11 Runeword – in class
KickerPhoenixBladefury

All of these will be a first for me. The kicker will be a pretty standard dragon talon build, following the kicker guide closely. The phoenix was chosen for the classy sept simply since it feels like it would get the most out of the runeword. Bladefury was chosen in part because it seems like a really fun skill, in part because finding a good not horrible utilization for principle is really hard. This way it will at least look extra pretty, and maybe provide some healing to the merc aswell.
Bow (multishot)MagezonMedusa (curse-less)

Ah, Amazons. You are my favourite class, and probably will be until the end of time / when I get my first Enigma and your FCR breakpoints aggravate me. (Then again, “the end of time” and “when I get my first Enigma” may be synonymous.)

The untwinked Amazon will be a bow-a-zon, but will focus mainly on multishot. This is mainly to get some contrast from the switcheroo medusa, who will be using strafe heavily. The classy sept amazon will be a magezon. It just felt like magezon and pure lightning javazon would get the most out of the armour, and the latter would be so close to my Matriarch Vahanna.
BOOM / poisonMelee / bonePoison dagger

The Bone runeword lends itself well to either bone necromancer or a meleemancer with a synergized bonespear. I am still hesitant which I should go for, but I still have no bonehew so it is leaning towards bone here. If classy is bone, the untwinked will be poison – if classy is melee, the untwinked will be BOOM (heavy CE with probably bonespear as first corpse).

For the switcheroo I felt Treachery would be a good fit for any class, but amazon (poison/plague javelin) or necromancer (poison dagger) would get most stylepoints by supercharging their attack with venom. Since I got so excited by a Medusa using Myth, poison dagger it is!
BerserkFrenzyWhirlwind

I have only played one barbarian past level 35-ish, and that is a concentrate barbarian. With so little knowledge, this is probably the class that has been flipped around the most (along with assassin).

Myth was very hard to field… If you disregard skills (since it is generic, and would give few stylepoints) the only thing it has going for it is basically the ctc howl and taunt. Some people mentioned throw barb, which looked fun. But it also looked like it needs heavy twinking – past what my stashed can support. I often feared the ctc would make it annoying, having to chase down enemies fleeing as soon as you finish the one you are attacking. Well, my hope is that the movespeed bonus of frenzy will make that less annoying.

Apart from frenzy, the other build I very much wanted to try was whirlwind. At first I thought “one big weapon = suitable for untwinked”, but I recently learned many feel the weapon needs such a specific affixes (high damage and speed) that it is generally considered hard for untwinked. So I flipped it with Berserk, which should do well untwinked. Rain should also alleviate almost any manaproblem for the barb – both with the huge manaboost and with the damage taken goes to mana.
CL+FO / Meteor+FOEnchantEnergy Shield+iDR

I have always been intrigued by enchant and have loved each instalment I have tried. They have usually gotten stuck in early hell (duo play with partner disliking their build in hell), so this is my chance to take on all the way. It should also get the blaze from enlightenment to pack quite some punch. For immunes, I plan to utilize synergized ctc lightning spells – chain lightning from crescent moon and lightning from wisp projector (if I find any of the latter).

I have recently become obsessed with the idea of trying out energy shield. In the switcheroo, it is obviously Bone or Rain that is best utilized there. Each comes with a massive mana boost, and also with a absorb of sorts. I always felt Bone was the better fit, and since Rain was a better fit for a Whirlwind barb, that is how she will be fielded. (Curious to hear why you felt Rain was best for ES @saracen85.)
At first I wanted to run her as a melee sorceress. Then I read up on how manaburn works. Apparently it does not just damage mana massively, but just wipes it. So I will be picking up two low investment elemental skills here. Frozen orb is usually the go-to for that, and fire wall is often mentioned too. I welcome more input of low investment skills here, both since I will likely use FO for the untwinked, and since having a lightning skill here would reduce the number of trees form 3 to 2 (allowing me to pump energy shield a bit more).

For untwinked, I plan to play some variation of a normal MF sorc. Since I have made a blizz-baller already (who is currently running LK for that Gul in Principle, as well as some auxiliary items for the twinked builds) I will try to use some other skills here.
TesladinAvengerHammer

If one has written the ridiculous rule that runewords must be utilized for more than the +2 skills (and why would one, really?), finding value in principle immediately becomes quite the challenge. While this thread had an interesting idea of a archer paladin healing his merc with Principle’s holy bolts, and proccing fist of the heavens from gold arch (which is synergized by holy shock, which itself is quite good for a ranger), the very low proc-change of gold arch made was just one straw to many for it. In the end, I went with a more conventional build of Avenger. How will this give any stylepoints you may ask? Well, 10 points in each resist aura synergy will make my resists all a round 80 (if properly stacked up). So it was one style-point for the Ranger or one style-point for the Avenger.

In the switcheroo I am fielding a hammerdin – in part because they have been recommended to me so many times, in part since the Paladin was left with enlightenment and with some proper +skills I might get some meagre usage out of warmth.

For Paladin, I wanted to try Zeal in some variation. Holy shock won over holy freeze and fanatism by quite a small marginal. So if you have strong feelings here, I’ll gladly hear them. :)
Fury/RabiesWindFire hunter mentalist

Rain has limited utilization, and it feels like wind is the only decent choice. So that was locked in early.

For the switcheroo, I was recommended the Fire hunter mentalist builds by someone back on the old forums (I think @crawlingdeadman, but the squid has eaten the post) way back when I asked for a nice build to start a new ladder with. While it looked really fun, I did not try it yet. So when I realized a harmony bow would give me an extra (very tanky) summon, I was sold.

As those two left only Fury on my highly desired list, the choice was easy. I might hold back on rabies in case I find a nice weapon-switch solution for PI, but being untwinked I doubt it.

I will be starting the untwinked sept soon, and the Classy runeword sept a little while later. (Still need that Gul. Still hoping to find another base for a nice +6 Melody and a Bonehew, etc.) I might migrate the untwinked sept into its own thread, and keep this mainly for the 1.11 Rune word related characters (and potential further rants).

Last edited:
Best of luck, endless theorycrafting and endlessly detailed and technical posts are the SPF way. How fitting with a mythical medusa :D, and whirlwind spawning twisters. If the barbarian uses war cry as well you must of course make him drop some lines from Twisted Sister lyrics in his screenshots, preferably with twisters still visible.

Poison dagger should jump a column to the left in the epic table, right?

Best of luck, endless theorycrafting and endlessly detailed and technical posts are the SPF way. How fitting with a mythical medusa :D, and whirlwind spawning twisters. If the barbarian uses war cry as well you must of course make him drop some lines from Twisted Sister lyrics in his screenshots, preferably with twisters still visible.

Poison dagger should jump a column to the left in the epic table, right?
I am not sure if my favorite (concept wise) is one of the two you mentioned, or the Treacherous back-stabbing poison dagger Necro. ^^

Yeah, thanks for catching that about the table.

Now I just need to figure out some good names for 21 characters. 😰

Hard-pressed to find a out-of-class use for principle, and my only ideas was basically this for pretty fireworks and merc healing or barb/druid to double the life bonus.
(Emphasis added)

Yes, exactly! Here's my Wolfbarb in his customary armor...

eliot88-skullders.jpg

...and here he is in Principle.

eliot88-principle.jpg

Since the +Life is really all the rune word has to offer a non-Paladin, might as well let BOTH Lycanthropy and BO have their way with it.

My partner, who is very fond of Bowazons, thinks it might be fun to put Principle on a glass cannon, who would really appreciate the Life, equipped with an upped Goldstrike Arch, just to watch the show.

But I didn't spend this Gul rune JUST for this comparison. Two Paladin builds which really stretch skill point allocations are the Avenger and the Templar. I'm leveling the former and fine-tuning the latter, as he was...

capn86-ga.jpg

...and as I think he's going to be.

capn86-principle.jpg

For another take on Principle's Paladin potential, Tellemena's The Vampire Slayer at the Amazon Basin synergizes the Holy Bolt CtC, and is well worth a look.

<tangent>

Wanna see something sick? I'm probably the only living D2 player whose rune word grail includes a Principle actually made in 1.11, before a later patch fixed the typo which kept the +100-150 Life bonus from being applied.

111principle.jpg

</tangent>

@Kartongen, I discovered this topic belatedly and have been obsessed by it ever since. I've spent many hours studying, testing and fact-checking, and have learned too much to cram into just a few words. TL;DR:

Peace: Plague/Lightning Javazon is THE best build for the armor, and best armor for the build. See Tellemena's The Blademaster and The Ninja to see if Peace is what you're seeking for Blade Fury. I made a Peaceful Harmonious Guardian Hunter/Summoner many years ago, but just tested a Peaceful Harmonious Fury Wolf I like much better.

Treachery: A majority of my Assassins use and love it. I also have it on four of my Fending Mistress o' Minions Javazons and a Minimalist Javazon MoM; a Daggermancer; an Enchantress; and a polearm Concentrate Barb.

Rain: Have and love it on a Fire Druid. I have thoughts...

Bone: Have and love it on a Stabbing Bonemancer and a Venomancer. I have thoughts...

Myth: Many of my Barbs use it, but none as end-game fighting gear. I tested on a Strafing Bowazon: Yes!

Enlightenment: For a Fire Druid, Leaf is a powerful lever to use with the Warmth oskill.

I look forward to digging in deeper with you after I get some sleep...

I look forward to read more analyses from you @Zyr. For now I have no real time to comment, except to show what just dropped for me.
uHMChlp.jpg

0M5QJ9R.jpg

I guess that settles the necromancer issue. Now I just need to lock in the sorceress skills for switcheroo and untwinked, and I am all set.

Reactions: Zyr and Swamigoon
Still hoping to find another base for a nice +6 Melody and a Bonehew, etc.
You should wish for more items in this thread! Congratulations! :cool:

Enlightenment. As I don’t think warmth will make a significant difference for anyone with access to insight, is looking cool with blaze on the only application for this runeword? Would love some other ideas.
But what about a character with no Insight? As I mentioned above, for a Fire Druid, Leaf is a powerful lever to use with the Warmth oskill. Coincidentally, I was able to test this very easily and quickly on a level 84 Druid named Vulcan Urushiol who has maxed Molten Bowling Ball, Fissure, Volcano, and Poison Creeper (PC and Fissure work so well together!); points now going into Firestorm; single points in Oak, Raven, both Wolves, and Bear. Many who play elemental Druids choose non-Insight mercs as partial FI solutions (e. g., TRT Act II, Lawbringer Act V); mine is a Cold Iron Wolf (named Scorch. Because it's a game, which we play, for fun. :p).

Vulcan had burned his way into Hell with a Leaf Short Staff with no staffmods. I replaced it in Hell with a Spirit sword and 3PD Kite, only because he needed the resists. After giving him back his Leaf, I swapped an Enlightenment BP for his Rain BP. (Yes, Rain is far better for a Wind Druid; more about that later.)

Before the switch, Vulcan had 570 mana, thanks to an excellent (146) roll on Rain and a perfect (112) one on Spirit. He had 312 mana with Leaf. While killing critters in the Hell Cold Plains, he encountered a couple of mana burners-- nothing single blue pots couldn't fix. But there were no other mana issues.

I further tested by spamming level 35 MB (27 mana per cast) at a wall and watching the blue orb drop. I didn't time it, but it took a while to drain, and bounced back quickly. This was sufficiently interesting that I took the time (about an hour) to shop a +3 Warmth (and +1 Lightning), 2 OS Short Staff from Normal Akara (~2k gp) and made another Leaf. Again, I didn't time it, but with level 10 Warmth mana drain was obviously slower and recovery quicker.

I also tried Leaf with a Trapper. It worked, but the sacrifice of +3 to Fire Blast and +6 to CS, LS, and DS was far too great to consider. I also offered it to my mid-level Holy Fire Paladin chipfinder, who, after a disdainful glance, resumed polishing his Kinemil's Awl and inquired, "What is this 'mana' of which you speak?"

I'm sorry, but I have other obligations now; to be continued...

Last edited:
Reactions: Swamigoon
Enlightenment, continued: It's worth pointing out that a Barb dual-wielding some combination of Hellplague, Hexfire, and Flamebellow would also have +4-6 Fire Skills to boost the Warmth oskill. I'd hate to be dependent upon those specific swords for a Frenzy and/or Dual Swing build, though.

The best thing I can see about Enlightenment for a Hammerdin is that it would neatly plug the Fire resistance hole left by his Spirit shield. But a Ral in any armor would do that.

Myth: Gotta be a Bowazon! I tested with a level 86 Zon switching between Harmony Diamond Bow and Passion Blade Bow. With Harmony, Taunt triggered... well, not as frequently as one would hope, but IMO often enough to make it worthwhile. I saw the Taunt animation far less frequently with Passion, but that was no surprise, because, as @onderduiker points out on the Amazon Basin Wiki Chance to Cast page, Taunt will be cast first, and will then be overwritten by Blind or Flee. But a few critters still slowly ambled toward the Zon with the colorful display above their heads.

I also tested Myth with a Blade Fury Assassin. Meh... Nah...

More obligations... More later...

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High