[2018] Tournament: Set/Unique Worshippers 2017 [by jiansonz]

Throwing you right into the action with a shot from the Sszark fight:

ObaraNM10, Sszark fight.jpg

Quite obvious that the Shadow will die in the next second, eh?

The shot demonstrates something that I hadn't thought of with this build. Fighting melee packs is generally quite safe, with Barani freezing (or at least chilling) the monster I attack, then the Dragon Tails keep knocking back the pack. Sometimes I run into a (very beneficial) bug that lets me release the DTail effect without losing my charges. It happens so often that I am now usually ready for it. If it happens, "well thanks, here's another fully charged kick!"

Hey lady, I am not here for your entertainment...
(still envious of her awesome cloak - why couldn't they let me have one?)

ObaraNM11, Natalya.jpg

Another example of a reasonably safe fight against some pretty powerful meleers:
(they are quick, though, so CoS was needed)

ObaraNM12, Sarina fight.jpg

Yet another damage numbers screenie. No more until I find bigger boots, I promise!

ObaraNM13, damage numbers again.jpg

Tied to what we talked about in the last two posts, how do you explain this?:

ObaraNM14, Amped vampire.jpg

Needless to say, they went down super fast when Amped.

Dealing a ton of damage has its drawbacks, even at these times when Iron Maiden is no longer an issue. Exploding bone fetish deal significant damage already here in NM. Not sure if it was one or two here, but that hurt:

ObaraNM15, damage trouble.jpg

Aldur's Stony Gaze (Spider Forest)
Cleglaw's Pincers (Great Marsh)
Isenhart's Parry (Great Marsh)
Infernal Sign (Flayer Dungeon level 2)
Nightsmoke #2 (Flayer Jungle)
Civerb's Icon (Flayer Jungle)
Angelic Halo (Gambled!)
Infernal Torch (Arachnid Lair)
ethereal Skewer of Krintiz (Swampy Pit level 3)
Tancred's Skull (Swampy Pit level 3)
Isenhart's Case #3 (Lower Kurast Zakarumite boss)
Tal Rasha's Fine-Spun Cloth (Kurast Bazaar)
Sazabi's Mental Sheath (Sewers level 1)
Raven Frost (Travincal chest)
Cliffkiller (Travincal, Council Member minion)
Kinemil's Awl (Durance of Hate level 1, Dark Lord boss)
Milabrega's Rod #2 (Durance of Hate level 2)
Rite of Passage #2 (Wyand Voidbringer)
Soul Harvest #2 (Mephisto)
Stormspike (Mephisto)
Tal Rasha's Fine-Spun Cloth #2 (Mephisto)

Destroyer Obara the TS/DTail Assassin and Barani the Cold Act III merc, level 64, NM Pandemonium Fortress, 90 S/U items found.

Last edited:
Well, it was time to get a real feel for what areas with fire immunes will be like for my TS/DTail character Obara.

This guy wasn't a real representative, though, having much more life and hefty cold resist compared to the Doom Knights here:

ObaraNM16, Star Weaver.jpg

Still, regular Venom Lords were a bit tedious to fight, taking 3-4 cycles to bring down.

Okay, fire immune Doom Knights. One option is 3x Tiger + Attack. Obviously doesn't work well enough with the meager Gull, upgraded or not. Doesn't really work with upgraded Tan Do Li Ga either...although the bleeding from Swordback Hold on that setup, along with Barani's ice, eventually kills things.

3x Tiger + Dragon Talon was reasonably effective:

ObaraNM17, damage with DTalon.jpg

I suppose DFlight could also have worked as finisher, but that's a lot more micro-management work if you need several cycles. It also moves Barani away from good vantage points.

We fought spawners on the Plains of Despair and on the River of Flame. Awesome perk with this build: you can pretty much ignore the Flesh Beasts. While you fight the bigger monsters, the little ones all die anyway!

Great bottleneck on the River:

ObaraNM18, bottleneck.jpg

Hephasto's aura was Blessed Aim and he was CE. No threat at all - I'm wearing Raven Frost now...

Ko from Hellforge. Okay, I guess...

Infector had Conviction, so I made sure to take him on alone. A good thing with a freeze merc is that you can often nail those leashed minions that bounce towards you and back. I think I got at least three (we could fight them without attracting the rest of the pack) before the Infector showed up.

With my great resists (85 fire, 73 lightning) and max block (except during the last seconds), I knew I could tank Diablo without having to move if I got close enough.

Ah, perfect:

ObaraNM19, Diablo.jpg

Didn't need a single purple! Just 10 or so big reds.

With the big DEX boosts from my new items Raven Frost and Tal Rasha's belt, I could put all points in VIT in this act. Still have a way to go to reach 900, so I need to keep working on it. I'm beefing up Shadow Warrior, it's level 14 now. I want to learn Death Sentry before Hell starts, which requires 4 points. That leaves 4 or so for pumping the Shadow a bit more.

Rogue's Bow (Outer Steppes)
Angelic Halo #2 (Plains of Despair, Champion Doom Caster)
Zakarum's Hand (City of the Damned)
Tiamat's Rebuke (City of the Damned)
Vidala's Fetlock #2 (River of Flame)
Angelic Sickle #2 (Diablo)

Tiamat's is interesting. Could be a help to make fighting immunes easier. It's heavy, though, and provides less blocking than the Swordback Hold Barbed Shield. Maybe I can't really fit it in.
(BTW: In Nethack, Tiamat is the Chromatic Dragon, the Cave(wo)man quest nemesis. She uses random breath attacks (of 8 possible types, I think) and is also a spellcaster and powerful in physical combat.)

Destroyer Obara the TS/DTail Assassin and Barani the Cold Act III merc, level 67, NM Harrogath, 95 S/U items found.

Last edited:
Well, dang! Fired up my Worshipper Druid after 18 months hiatus and noticed that I have been using Shaels in my Witchwild String since Act I Hell because I forgot about the socket clause (only unique jewels or yellow/green jewels, Emeralds, Topazs, but no runes).

I guess that disqualifies me, does it? :oops:

Well, anyways, since I'm already about to free Anya, I might as well finish this botched mess and still post it here. The annoying thing is, that I probably wouldn't even have needed the Shaels, because most of the time I let my merc do the fighting. But I guess I have to learn to read the rules better :) Is anyone else still making progress in this tournament?

Grisu said:
Well, dang! Fired up my Worshipper Druid after 18 months hiatus and noticed that I have been using Shaels in my Witchwild String since Act I Hell because I forgot about the socket clause (only unique jewels or yellow/green jewels, Emeralds, Topazs, but no runes).

I guess that disqualifies me, does it? :oops:

Well, anyways, since I'm already about to free Anya, I might as well finish this botched mess and still post it here. The annoying thing is, that I probably wouldn't even have needed the Shaels, because most of the time I let my merc do the fighting. But I guess I have to learn to read the rules better :) Is anyone else still making progress in this tournament?
I have a rabies druid somewhere in nightmare thats basically a slog to play, but if you're still progressing, I may try to pick it back up

Last edited:
Soooo...after only 2 years and some, Oberon finally made it!
Screenshot076.jpg
As I already stated in my last post, I somehow missed the fact, that runes weren't allowed as socket fillers and somewhere around in NM I started using a Shael'd Bonesnap and a double Shael'd Witchwild String...that officially disqualifies Oberon from this tournament, but still it was fun and Oberon is my 8th tournament character overall (and my 2nd Druid - the first being a fully synergized Arctic Blast/Grizzly Hunter...)

The character was fun to play, but esp. from Act 4 hell onwards FI monsters kept appearing more and more and making my life hard. Still, I did full clears at /p3, ending the journey at level 87.
Screenshot001.jpg

No useful S/U dropped and only a total of 2:
Bladebuckle from Diablo and Deathspade from a boss pack.
Screenshot002.jpg
Screenshot008.jpg

I honestly don't remember if I killed Diablo at /p1 or /p3, I think it was /p3, as I remember the fight as quite tedious and dangerous at some points. Grizzly had to be constantly recast to draw Diablo's attention, then I got back in bear form and smacked him some with my (illegally Shael'd) Bonesnap.

A Mal from Hell HF isn't too bad, either:
Screenshot004.jpg

Starting Act V, there were as not so safe moment when I returned to town like this while trying to grab the WP: Honestly, I don't know why I didn't gulp (another Full Rejuv), but as far as I remember, I tried reaching the WP and got hit a few times right before disappearing...

I will spare you all the S/U drops, but this drop I would very much have liked to be unique:
Screenshot038.jpg

There were some nasty fights in Act V - among them one hard to reach boss pack of Archers. I used up a bazillion mana potions and 10 minutes to kill them with Volcano from the outside:
Screenshot043 (1).jpg

Even before that fight though, I was really really afraid of Nihlatak...his CEs did around 50% of my life total, so I was trying to lure out as many minions as possible, then cast grizzly into his line of sight in order to let him blow up the remaining corpses for my grizzly, then cast grizzly on top of him storming forwards and trying to bring him down as fast as possible while not producing any more corpses...I might as well have died if he cast 2 or 3 more CEs, but he didn't and I was victorious:

Screenshot042.jpg

Fighting FI Doom Knights while being cursed is no fun either,
Screenshot044 (1).jpg

as are MS CE Extra Strong Oblivion Knights
Screenshot045.jpg

The Icy Cellar held 3 boss packs of Frenzytaurs (Teleportation, Stone Skin, Cursed PI LI /// FE Mana Burn, Fana Aura, FI, LI /// Might Aura, Stone Skin, Teleportation, PI LI) plus one Champion Mob of 4, and I had a really hard time separating those packs and bringig them down one by one. Shockwave was an allstar throughout the whole game and is probably the best skill ever. I kept spamming it on bosses and champions to keep them stunned (10% chance for bosses) and without this skill, I would have deeded around 458 times in Hell. Maybe 459 times.

Read next post for the final adventure (pic limit reached)

EDIT: Of course the WWS was double Shael'd, the Bonesnap only Shael'd once :)

Last edited:
The worst part for sure was rerolling beatable Ancients...I think I rerolled them 9 times, because multiple FIs was almost a no go if they had some other nasty mods like cursed, Fanaticism etc.. Yep, I am chicken, but really - the rules permitted it and I didn't want to die that late in the game just to prove a point :rolleyes:

So, this is the roll I eventually beat after distributing 50 potions on Mount Arreat:
Screenshot060.jpg
Screenshot061.jpg
Screenshot062.jpg

Note that two of them were FI/Stone Skin, which I was actually trying to avoid - I only notced Talic being FI/SS too after I took down the other two, and since he was only extra fast, I risked it. It was a long fight against him, but eventually (and after some potion grabbing) I had him to a sliver
Screenshot064.jpg

In the WSK, "Puke Lust" was exactly what I felt when I encountered this boss:
Screenshot070.jpg

I managed to somehow get away from him, running like mad through the WSK, attracting other boss packs but losing him in the process. Then I cleared all other areas and had room enough to maneuver in the WSK to get rid of him. (Again, Shockwave shone while running away from him and in the fight against him).

I chickened out on Lister, dropping to /P1, knowing the whole pack was FI.
Screenshot071.jpg

Again, splitting up the pack with Shockwave and taking them down one by one was the way to go. The fight was easier than expected, which prompted me to raise the setting to /p3 again for Baal:

A very very bad choice. The fight took forever! I think he recast his clone 20+ times, and I had to go back to town trying to get rid of the clone that way because both together were simply doing too much damage. Also, shockwave is of limited use against Baal...his apparitions were necessary for my merc though, in order to leech back life. And so the fight went on Screenshot072.jpg

and on
Screenshot073.jpg

and on...
Screenshot074.jpg

until finally:

Screenshot075.jpg

Wow, what a tedious journey the last few fight were (Icy Cellar, Ancients, WSK, Baal). It took me over 5 hours to finish the last few steps of Oberon's journey, but now he's there and I finally had the time and mindset to start the Ability Scroll Sept tournament...

Here is a list of my complete S/U finds:

1​
Hsaru's Iron Fist
1​
NormalAct I
2​
Infernal Cranium
1​
NormalAct I
3​
Nagelring
1​
NormalAct I
4​
Civerb's Ward
1​
NormalAct II
5​
Pluckyey
1​
NormalAct II
6​
Shadowfang
1​
NormalAct II
7​
Nagelring
2​
NormalAct III
8​
Sander's Taboo
1​
NormalAct III
9​
Civerb's Icon
1​
NormalAct III
10​
Isenhart's Lightbrand
1​
NormalAct III
11​
Sander's Taboo
2​
NormalAct III
12​
Vidala's Snare
1​
NormalAct III
13​
Isenhart's Horns
1​
NormalAct IV
14​
Witherstring
1​
NormalAct IV
15​
Iratha's Coil
1​
NormalAct V
16​
Brainhew
1​
NormalAct V
17​
Berserker's Headgear
1​
NormalAct V
18​
Sparking Mail
1​
NormalAct V
19​
Milabrega's Orb
1​
NormalAct V
20​
Nokozan Relic
1​
NormalAct V
21​
Arctic Horns
1​
NormalAct V
22​
Isenhart's Lightbrand #2
2​
NormalAct V
23​
Cathan's Mesh
1​
NormalAct V
24​
Sigon's Wrap
1​
NormalAct V
25​
Razortine
1​
NormalAct V
26​
Deathspade
1​
NormalCow Level
27​
Angelic Halo
1​
NormalCow Level
28​
Iratha's Coil #2
2​
NMAct I
29​
Hsaru's Iron Stay
1​
NMAct I
30​
Berserker's Hatchet
1​
NMAct I
31​
Boneflesh
1​
NMAct I
32​
Lance of Yaggai
1​
NMAct I
33​
Cathan's Seal
1​
NMAct I
34​
Isenhart's Lightbrand #3
3​
NMAct I
35​
Gorefoot
1​
NMAct I
36​
The General's Tan Do Li Ga
1​
NMAct I
37​
Manald Heal
1​
NMAct I
38​
Milabrega's Orb
2​
NMAct II
39​
Aldur's Stony Gaze
1​
NMAct II
40​
Vidala's Fetlock
1​
NMAct II
41​
The Chieftain
1​
NMAct II
42​
Goldwrap
1​
NMAct II
43​
The Iron Jang Bong
1​
NMAct II
44​
Wall of the Eyeless
1​
NMAct II
45​
Cathan's Seal
2​
NMAct II
46​
Vidala’s Barb
1​
NMAct II
47​
Berserker’s Hatchet
2​
NMAct II
48​
Tal-Rasha’s Horadric Crest
1​
NMAct II
49​
Isenhart’s Case
1​
NMAct II
50​
Hwanin's Blessing
1​
NMAct II
51​
Arm of King Leoric
1​
NMAct II
52​
The Chieftain
2​
NMAct II
53​
Civerb’s Cudgel
1​
NMAct II
54​
Bonesnap #1
1​
NMAct III
55​
Cathan's Mesh #2
2​
NMAct III
56​
Tancred's Skull
1​
NMAct III
57​
Iratha's Coil #3
3​
NMAct III
58​
Arcanna's Flesh
1​
NMAct III
59​
Kinemil's Awl
1​
NMAct III
60​
Ginther's Rift
1​
NMAct III
61​
Bonesnap #2
2​
NMAct III
62​
Brainhew #2
2​
NMAct III
63​
Visceratuant
1​
NMAct III
64​
Tancred's Crowbill
1​
NMAct III
65​
Isenhart's Parry
1​
NMAct III
66​
Isenhart's Case #2
2​
NMAct III
67​
Sigon's Sabot
1​
NMAct IV
68​
The Stone of Jordan
1​
NMAct IV
69​
Brainhew #3
3​
NMAct IV
70​
Cathan's Mesh #3
3​
NMAct IV
71​
Berserker's Hatchet
3​
NMAct V
72​
Tal-Rasha's Horadric Crest #2 (Arreat Plateau)
2​
NMAct V
73​
Isenhart's Parry #2 (Arreat Plateau)
2​
NMAct V
74​
Cathan's Seal #3 (Pit of Acheron)
3​
NMAct V
75​
Isenhart's Case #3 (Crystalline Passage)
3​
NMAct V
76​
Crushflange (Frozen River)
1​
NMAct V
77​
Cathan's Seal #4 (Halls of Anguish)
4​
NMAct V
78​
Cathan's Mesh #4 (Halls of Anguish)
4​
NMAct V
79​
Vidala's Snare #2 (The Ancient's Way)
2​
NMAct V
80​
Ripsaw (WSK II)
1​
NMAct V
81​
Witchwild String (Baal)
1​
NMAct V
82​
Tearhaunch (Cows)
1​
NMCows
83​
Sigon's Wrap #2 (Cows)
2​
NMCows
84​
Duskdeep (Cows)
1​
NMCows
85​
Magewrath (Mausoleum)
1​
HellAct I
86​
Cathan's Rule (Crypt)
1​
HellAct I
87​
Blackhand Key (Crypt?)
1​
HellAct I
**​
The Meat Scraper (Underground Passage Level 2)
1​
HellAct I
89​
Angelic Sickle (Underground Passage Level 1)
1​
HellAct I
90​
Milabrega's Orb #3 (Underground Passage Level 1)
3​
HellAct I
91​
Cathan's Seal #5 (Dark Wood)
5​
HellAct I
92​
Tancred's Crowbill #2 (Black Marsh)
2​
HellAct I
93​
Doomslinger (Pit level 1)
1​
HellAct I
94​
Umbral Disk (Catacombs Level 3)
1​
HellAct I
95​
Ichorsting (Andariel)
1​
HellAct I
96​
Langer Briser (Sewers Level 2)
1​
HellAct II
97​
Magefist
1​
HellAct II
98​
The Battlebranch (Rocky Waste, chest)
1​
HellAct II
99​
Laying of Hands (Dry Hills)
1​
HellAct II
100​
Death's Touch (Halls of the Dead level 1)
1​
HellAct II
101​
Soulflay (Halls of the Dead level 2)
1​
HellAct II
102​
Gheed's Fortune (Halls of the Dead level 1, chest)
1​
HellAct II
103​
Rattlecage (Far Oasis)
1​
HellAct II
104​
Tancred's Crowbill #3 (Claw Viper Temple level 1)
3​
HellAct II
105​
Butcher's Pupil (Harem Level 2)
1​
HellAct II
106​
Tal-Rasha's Lidless Eye
1​
HellAct II
107​
Infernal Torch (Tal Rasha's (false) Tomb)
1​
HellAct II
108​
Dark Adherent (Tal Rasha's (false) Tomb)
1​
HellAct II
109​
Pompeii's Wrath (Tal Rasha's (false) Tomb, Ancient Kaa)
1​
HellAct II
110​
Gheed's Fortune #2
2​
HellAct II
111​
Snowclash (Duriel)
1​
HellAct II
112​
Boneflesh
2​
HellAct III
113​
Ormus' Robes (Flayer Jungle)
1​
HellAct III
114​
Hawkmail (Flayer Jungle)
1​
HellAct III
115​
Tancred's Skull #2 (Lower Kurast)
2​
HellAct III
116​
Tabaek's Glory (Sewers I)
1​
HellAct III
117​
Messerschmidt's Reaver (Sewers I)
1​
HellAct III
118​
Rockstopper (Sewers I)
1​
HellAct III
119​
Isenhart's Lightbrand #4 (Upper Kurast)
4​
HellAct III
120​
Aldur's Stony Gaze #2 (Travincal)
2​
HellAct III
121​
Isenhart's Case #4 (Travincal)
4​
HellAct III
122​
Arioc's Needle (Mephisto)
1​
HellAct III
123​
Blood Crescent (Mephisto)
1​
HellAct III
124​
Hwanin's Justice (Mephisto)
1​
HellAct III
125​
Deathspade
2​
HellAct IV
126​
Bladebuckle
1​
HellAct IV
127​
Iratha's Collar #1
1​
HellAct V
128​
Sazabi's Mental Sheath
1​
HellAct V
129​
Arctic Furs
1​
HellAct V
130​
Berserker's Hatchet
4​
HellAct V
131​
Skull Splitter
1​
HellAct V
132​
Civerb's Ward
2​
HellAct V
133​
Sigon's Gage
1​
HellAct V
134​
Stormstrike
1​
HellAct V
135​
Djinn Slayer
1​
HellAct V
136​
Nagelring
3​
HellAct V
137​
Skull Splitter
2​
HellAct V
138​
Visceratuant
2​
HellAct V
139​
Stormguild
1​
HellAct V
140​
Milabrega's Diadem
1​
HellAct V
Oberon, the Fire Claw/Grizzly S/U Worshipper Druid, Guardian at level 87

Thanks for reading and good luck to everyone who is still going in this tournament!

Last edited:
I've had a bit of free time recently, time enough to fire up a new character and knock off some rust! This tournament was a fun read, so I'm barging in with a belated unofficial entry. I chose an Amazon, her purpose was to avenge either of two previous tournament zons from many many years ago, the first being a two-handed "swordmistress", and the second a Cleglaw's Bracer from the original S/U tourney. (Both characters were killed in Act 2 Hell by some variation of the FE Bug). Depending on the drops, my plan was to recreate one of these characters.

Mae's adventure began promisingly, with two-thirds of Cleglaw's Brace dropping very early. However, full p8 clears of Norm and NM failed to yield the weapon. Sadly, they also failed to yield any two-handed sword. Indeed, Mae's luck with S/U items (and charms and jewels), was so atrocious, it boggled my mind!
Consider the following:
1. Of the 10 Act Boss deaths throughout Normal and NM (all p8), only ONE green/gold item dropped.
2. That one drop was Iratha's Collar amulet from NM Diablo.
3. That amulet was the first S/U amulet Mae found, therefore Act 5 NM was the first act she equipped one (aside from the temporary Viper amulet).
4. Until NM Baal, not a single charm, of any size, dropped with a resistance greater than 11%, excluding poison resistance.
5. After NM Cows, I burned through my perfect gems re-rolling GCs, with nothing to show for it.

6. Of the 25 green/yellow graphic jewels that dropped, only 2 were decent.

That's not to say Mae is a disaster, there were some diamonds in the rough and I'm actually looking forward to playing her in Hell. Here's the positive news:
1. Rune luck has been excellent, most notably Lum and Pul (NM Forge), enabling an exceptional --> elite unique upgrade, more on that later.
2. General's Flail, upgraded early to a Knout, was a serviceable weapon (barely) to get me to Hell.

3. I spent all my NM gold gambling for amulets and at the start of Act 5 NM shockingly scored a highly desired target, Tancred's Weird, +78% MF when equipped with another set piece. Combined with Nagelring (20%), Mil's Shield (20%), and a couple MF charms, I mustered +129% MF.
4. NM Ball dropped a Grand Charm, Shimmering (15%) of Dex (6), which is the only good GC resistance charm I have.
5. Rockstopper Sallet (NM Ancient Tunnels).
6. At the start of Hell, I used my PSkulls to re-roll a rare jewel. Not only did it score a green graphic, it features 7% FHR, +max damage, and 24% fire resist! I socketed it into the Rockstopper.
7. My Fire Rogue is decently equipped with Endless Hail Double Bow (188%) and Toothrow Sharktooth Armor (40% OW). Her Inner Sight will be also be crucial to boost Mae's hit chances. She will be responsible for PI monsters.
8. Lastly, the heart and soul of the build, Bonesnap Maul (241%) upgraded to an Ogre Maul, and socketed with a useful rare jewel (yellow graphic) with 11% cold resist and -15% requirements, the latter attribute saving me 33 stat points which went into Vitality instead of Strength. Mae is now a professional Maulazon (if such a term exists)!

Conqueror Mae, Maulazon, level 75, Act 1 Hell
F/C/L Resists 60/30/-14 <--- scary low lightning
919 life, 57% FHR, 40% off-weapon IAS, 40% FRW
Skills:
Inner Sight 1
Slow Missiles 1
Decoy 20
Valk 20
Dodge 6 (40%)
Avoid 6 (48%)
Evade 6 (40%)
Critical Strike 11 (58%)
Penetrate 11

Gear:
Bonesnap Ogre Maul
(average 1,050 damage with additional 58% Critical Strike, and 40% CB)
Rockstopper Sallet

Twitchthroe Studded Leather (ethereal with 17/17 durability)
Infernal Sign Heavy Belt
Sanders Taboo Heavy Gloves
Sanders Riprap Heavy Boots
Tancred's Weird Amulet
Nagelring
Manald Heal

Gwinni the Fire Rogue Merc

Endless Hail Double Bow (188%)
Isenhart's Horns
Toothrow Sharktooth Armor (40% OW)

My burly Maulazon has been progressing through Act 1 Hell quite nicely, on the rare occasions I have time to play her! Mae gradually went about her business snapping bones, mostly p1 but occasionally p3. Her Bonesnap Ogre Maul is a bit slow even with 40% off-weapon IAS, but she hits hard, and fairly reliably, over the valk and decoy's shoulder while boosted with the Fire Rogue's Inner Sight.
Even solo, Mae can tangle with just about anything, and frequently did while charging ahead to take out shamans. It was a lot of fun bludgeoning them, tensely fending off Fallen as the mob swarmed. Her ethereal Twitchthroe held up better than expected, losing only 8 of 17 durability throughout the entire Act despite Mae's absorbing her share of damage when D/A/E failed.
As usual for Act 1, the underground areas posed the greatest threats. There were several multi-boss multi-aura packs in the caves, which vaporized the valk and decoy, but in each in instance, we had already cleared a sufficient amount of space to retreat and regroup.
Corpse disposal is Mae's Achilles' Heel, and Pit Level 2 was a perfect example. The introductory Fallen were not particularly dangerous, but, knowing the potential for danger, I didn't want to risk awakening anything horrific. Cold damage from my charms and the Rogue's Endless Hail Bow eventually shattered their corpses after dozens of shaman resurrections. Sure enough, the remaining monsters posed quite a challenge, and I was grateful I didn't barge ahead impulsively.
Just as Mae completed her first Act as a Maulazon, Andariel dropped a game-changer!

Bonehew
Ogre Axe

Two Hand Damage: 108 - 568
Fingerprint: 0x9f6789b
Item Level: 75
Version: Expansion 1.10+
50% Chance to cast level 16 Bone Spear on striking
+30% Increased Attack Speed
288% Enhanced Damage
+6 to Maximum Damage
Prevent Monster Heal
Cold Resist +27%
Fire Resist +14%
Level 14 Corpse Explosion (5/30 Charges)
2 Sockets (2 used)
Socketed: Sapphire Jewel
Socketed: Garnet Jewel of Wrath

The striking thing about this find, was to automatically think about hiring an Act 2 merc. It took several minutes before I thought, "Wait a second, Mae can equip this thing?!" :D It's just not a common thought for an Amazon. But that is what I love best about this tournament, the unconventional and downright bizarre, can become reality!
Sadly, Mae's brief career as a Maulazon is over. The Bonesnap is now kept on the switch, for the occasions I need Crushing Blow. Bonehew is simply a superior killer. Considering her new setup with an Ogre Axe and an Ogre Maul, I suppose she must now be considered an "Ogrezon". :p Now, that is not a term I'd say to her face, but if the shoe fits... :)

I socketed the Bonehew with a couple decent green jewels. Average damage is equal to the Bonesnap, with the obvious advantage of faster swing speed. But the true game-changing attribute is the CE charges! This totally transformed gameplay and we can tear through mobs in a fraction of the time. The charges are expensive, but I have no need for gold, so I sell a few high-value items now and then to re-charge it. Safety is another huge factor, no need for scrappy and sloppy battles against resurrectors. Case in point, Halls of the Dead. Level 1 opened into a colossal mob of unravellers (regulars, champs, and bosses) and ungodly swarms of skeletons by the dozen. Lacking corpse disposal and with a tiny box to fight from, would've been a serious challenge and very draining, perhaps a half hour or more of insanity. I have doubts I could've done it. But with CE, within seconds I turned the entrance into a bloodbath, and wiped out everything after a couple recharge trips.

Screenshot125.jpg

Along with the weapon, I made some changes with gear and skills. I upgraded my belt from the worthless Infernal Sign (the only S/U belt I had found) to the relatively excellent Nightsmoke (upgraded to a Mesh Belt.) It has more slots and some helpful attributes. I stashed Tancred's Amulet and equipped a newly-found Telling of Beads. Again, the value is all relative, meager cold resist boost and +1 skills, far more helpful since I no longer get the MF from Tancred's. Also, I swapped out Manald Heal for an Angelic Ring and the Twitchthroe for the Angelic Armor. The reason for this was the ~1,000 AR set bonus, further boosted substantially by maxing Penetrate. AR is now comfortably high regardless if Inner Sight from the Rogue is active.
Nothing could stop us throughout the rest of Act 2. I even killed a FE boss unraveller "Star Wound" (the very same name and type of enemy that slayed my original S/U zon 17 years ago! :cool:
So far in Act 3, I have suffered 3 NDEs, barging ahead too quickly. Twice from Gloam lightning, and once from multi-pack Heirophant lightning. My lightning resistance is pathetic, below zero! After one volley I saw nothing but a sliver of red in the life bulb. A grim reminder of overconfidence. I will have to be more careful as there is much more of that to come. I safely cleared the first 2 temples. The Kurast sewers are next.

Conqueror Mae, Ogrezon, level 82, Act 3 Hell
F/C/L Resists 51/44/-4 <--- scary low lightning
Str 202, Dex 90, Vit 229, Energy 15
1061 life, 37% FHR, 20% off-weapon IAS, 40% FRW
Skills:
Inner Sight 2
Slow Missiles 2
Decoy 21
Valk 21
Dodge 7 (42%)
Avoid 7 (50%)
Evade 7 (42%)
Critical Strike 12 (59%)
Penetrate 21

Gear:
Bonehew Ogre Axe
(average 1,050 damage [minus the Bone Spear] with additional 59% Critical Strike)
Bonesnap Ogre Maul (average 1,050 damage with additional 59% Critical Strike, and 40% CB)
Rockstopper Sallet
Angelic Mantle Ring Mail
Nightsmoke Mesh Belt
Sanders Taboo Heavy Gloves
Sanders Riprap Heavy Boots
Telling of Beads Amulet

Nagelring
Angelic Halo

Gwinni the Fire Rogue Merc
Endless Hail Double Bow
(188%)
Isenhart's Horns