Matriarch Khione, M’Avina’s Frost Maiden (D2R)

TheNix

Jun 23, 2003
Matriarch Khione, M’Avina’s Frost Maiden

Level: 89

St – 100 (147)
Dx – 105 (187)
Vt – 315 (332)
En – 15 (32)

HP 1342
Mana 356

Damage and AR (With BA)

Freezing Arrow: 529 – 1549 / 2857 – 3107 @ 12,382AR

Resists:

Fire: 75
Cold: 75
Ltning: 75
Poison: 75

Skills:

Freezing Arrow: 20/32
Cold Arrow: 20/32
Valkyrie: 20/32
Decoy: 20/32
Pierce: 12/24 – 89% chance
Ice Arrow: 1/13

Penetrate, D/A/E, Critical Strike, Slow Missiles & Inner Sight: 1/13

Equipment:

Weapon 1:

M’Avina’s Caster with Cold Facet (+5, -4, Die)

Weapon 2:

Arrow holder

M’Avina’s True Sight with Cold Facet (+5, -5, Die)
M’Avina’s Embrace with Cold Facet (+4, -5, Die)
M’Avina’s Icy Clutch
Silkweave
M’Avina’s Tenent
Mara’s Kaleidoscope
BKWB & Raven Frost

Cold Rapture & AmaTorch

Merc (Act 2 – Blessed Aim)

Tal Rasha’s Horadric Crest
“Duress” Dusk Shroud
“Infinity” Superior Eth Thresher

Random musings:

The M’Avina set was the final class-specific set I had not yet completed a mat/pat with, and I have now corrected that. I have heard that the M’Avina set makes a very good Frost Maiden, and I certainly agree. I played on /players8 all the way through to Hell Chaos Sanctuary and then /players5 through to completion. The only problem I had, and the reason I dropped down to /p5, was the difficulty I had was finding enough mana potions. I filled all available free space with mana potions and picked up everyone that dropped, and I still had to go back to town so often it drove me crazy.

The Freezing Arrow was so fantastic at crowd control that Khione only died once, my Valkyrie only a couple of times and the merc maybe ten. I didn’t feel the need to increase the freeze length, so putting points into Ice Arrow seemed a waste, as were more points in Pierce. Putting the remaining points into Decoy made for a Decoy that was able to take several hits and create a practically unkillable Valk. The only death I had was during Hell Ancients and I’m still not really sure what happened. The Throw barb was giving me some grief, so I closed to melee range to stop him peeling away my HP. This worked well, right up until the time something one-shot me. I thought the merc and Valk were keeping the other two barbs under control, and I was peppering the remaining one, and then I was dead. The only thing I can think of is the leap barb took me out with one massive hit, but I had pretty much all of my 1300+HP at the time and I wasn’t cursed. Oh well, such is life!

I started off using the Arctic set and partial other sets, then the upped Arctic set (not the gloves though) and that took me all the way through normal. Lycander’s Aim and a few mid-level Uniques kept me going until I was able to complete the set. I was going to change to a Holy Freeze merc and to equip an Insight bow on swap, but neither when really necessary, and I was a bit weary of doing a weapon swap to fill my mana and find myself without the full set bonuses.

All in all, this was a killer build, even taking into consideration the numerous trips to town to top up on mana potions. If I hadn’t died to the Ancient, this would have been the first time I have ever had three consecutive mat/pats without a death, so I’m a little snarky about that!

Screenshot233.png

Congrats. The set is great, but the mana cost for freezing arrow is just awful, which is why I spent most of the time as a Strafer when I made mine years ago in 1.14.

Reactions: TheNix
The mana bulb will run out if its only 32 in Hell! Maybe some Serpents grand charms and Insight on the merc. I will get around to a Mavina's Frost Maiden in D2R when I find the pieces. I saw Nuclear Rabbit having fun with his Frost Maiden recently and made me want to do it again. Congrats!

Reactions: little birdy
Nice Mat! M’avina’s Freezing Arrow build is a fun time. Next time put some stat points into Energy maybe? You can get by with less life!

Another Mat, congrats! I found 1-point strafe was helpful to boost the mana bulb with a mana leech ring. Damage is solid on the set bow, but having Windforce or another high-damage bow on switch worked well. I don’t have time-traveled mpk rings, but they are the best option if available, I would think.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High